Landlords Guide

This is only a simple Landlords Guide:


Tenants’ deposits must by law be registered with a government-approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. This gives all parties confidence that deposits are protected by a licensed organisation, which safeguards deposits against rogue landlords, tenants, and agents, also provides an independent resolution if any dispute arises between tenant and landlord, also means that landlords cannot unfairly hold on to tenants’ deposits.

Landlords can do this themselves, or we can do it for them at a cost on request. If Landlords do it themselves, they must give us proof that they have done so.


It is Landlords duty to keep the structure and exterior of the property in good repair. This includes drains, gutters, heating, external pipes and installations for water, gas, electricity and sanitation.


All your furniture, including soft furnishings, must be compliant with fire regulations. Any items that do not comply or do not have evidence of such, must be removed prior to the tenancy commencing. Certain exclusions may apply.

Gas safety 

The landlord is considered responsible for all gas appliances, pipes and meters.  They must be inspected and certificated by a GAS SAFE registered engineer every year.

Electrical equipment

The landlord must ensure that all electrical equipment complies with the safety requirements of the 1994 Regulations. Qualified electrical contractors can advise and carry out inspections where appropriate.

Smoke alarms

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015. The requirements will be enforced by local authorities who can impose a fine of up to £5,000 where a landlord fails to comply with a remedial notice.
Mains-operated smoke alarms must be fitted in all buildings.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

By law, you must have an EPC in place before a tenancy begins. You must arrange for an inspection to be carried out if you don’t have a valid certificate.


Landlords are responsible to make sure that their property and any contents are fully insured against fire, theft, flood and so on. Please check with your insurance company before your tenancy commences to make sure that your buildings and contents are adequately insured for letting a property, as many house and contents insurance policies are not valid for letting.

Income Tax 

Landlords income which they gain from letting their property, less the cost of certain allowable expenses, is subject to income tax Payable to HMRC,  whether UK residence or live abroad.

Non-UK-resident landlords

Find out more about non-resident landlords and their taxation by contacting HMRC, you may also take advice from a UK accountant.